View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: UTG standards...with warm legs...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK so I guess me opening JTs and QTs sometimes UTG is no good...

[/ QUOTE ]

JTs is down at 57.51% heads-up against the deck. Way overated shorthanded.

QTs is 59.44%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at 'hot and cold' equity as the end all be all in this situation is a pretty severe conceptual error. Even though KTo is a 'better' hand that JTs, I'd much rather have the latter because it plays much cleaner post flop. To put it another way, you probably drag more pots with KTo, but the pots you win with JTs will tend to be larger, and by an amount large enough to make up the difference comfortably.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is admittedly fault in taking the math too far, or in using the math exclusively. There is also fault in assuming that the pot will be heads-up as KT drops in value 3-way and JTs surpasses it.

I'm not sure as to the severity of misconception based on the cleanliness of play? May that not be subjective bias based on one's playing style? The fact remains that if we play the 2 hands against each other repeatedly, heads-up, KT will eventually get all the money because it is stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing KTo directly to JTs is not really fair because of domination - obviously it's going to be very difficult for JTs to make up the preflop -EQ HU vs. KTo postflop.

In the actual play of hands, there are a lot more flops and especially turns that you can play really aggressively with JTs - similarly, you are somewhat less likely to make second best hands that 'have' to pay off. The playability of the suited+connectedness of JTs far outweighs the (very limited) big card strength of KTo.

You make your money on the BB streets, and JTs makes more strongly betable hands, whereas when you catch a piece of the flop with KTo, you're not especially sanguine about getting lots of action. This is something of a NL concept that translates somewhat to 6-max because the size of pots PF tend to be relatively small compared to the ending pots if the hand gets to SD.