View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Legal Advice re: Exiting Lease

I rent student housing in a college town. Here is our policy for these situations, which not surprisingly occurs quite often.

Important factors:

Rent is collected 2 months in advance
All leases are joint and several. For the legal illiterate this means all or one party to the lease may be held liable for the full lease amount.

Our policy:

Any leases not current on rents at time lease begins will not receive access to the apartment. In your situation this means your roommates pay and you don't, no keys for them.

In situations like this the other leaseholders will generally come up wit the unpaid rent. Their best option is to find someone to sublet.

In the event they are unable to sub-let and/or pay the remaining balance of the absent party we will begin eviction proceedings to gain possession of the premises. Any unpaid portion will be placed in collection for all parties to the lease. That would include you Mr. No-Show.

I've seen this situation over and over throughout the years. While I certainly feel for the roommates left in the lurch I operate a business to make a profit.

Since your in college and assumed to be reasonably intelligent let me offer you a life lesson. You have signed a legal document honor your obligation or accept the consequences. I wouldn't count on these "friends" continuing to think of you as such after leaving them hanging like this.