View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Nutrition Questions and Dietary Fads

[ QUOTE ]

There are health effects to not drinking enough water, so to provide some guidance, we end up with a rule that likely is helpful to the "Average" person.

In general, if you are not drinking enough water, your body will tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the article. I would agree that if you're an active person and involved in any type of sports you would want to make sure you are hydrated. No argument here. But some of us are pretty inactive and sit at computer's all day. I can't really see how we would be in danger of being dehydrated.

On the other hand, preventing kidney stones is a very good reason why one might want to drink a lot of water. Now there's a reason that actually makes sense to me.

Ok check out this article. I skimmed it this morning and found it rather interesting.

Do we need 8 glasses of water a day?

It's debunking the 8 glasses of water a day thing. Not saying that people shouldn't keep doing what makes them feel good, I wouldn't want that (especially for people like Pryor who have found that water helps them prevent headaches.) But this article suggests that the 8 glasses rule was a pretty arbitrary amount with little scientific foundation.

this article needs to exist is to contradict his absurdly pervasive and unjustified idea that “chronic dehydration” is some kind of epidemic. It is probably not. There may be such a thing as “chronic dehydration”, but the weight of expert opinion is clear: if it exists at all, it is not serious, and easily cured in any event.

p.s. I hope someone read the article I linked above on antioxidants. It was pretty fascinating and slightly troubling.