View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:36 PM

Default The Godafther: Is Kay Worse Than Michael?

I was watching the Godfather 2 the other day, and something occured to me about Kay during the scene where tells Michael about the abortion. Her actions were far worse than any of Michael's in my opinion. I don't want this to turn into an abortion debate per say, but more focus on Kay's motivations for having the abortion and why they were so wrong.

Kay spends the better part of the trilogy being holier than thou, except for this one part where she sinks to, if not below, Michael's level. She knew what would set Michael off so much as to kick her out of his life, and that would be an abortion of his child. Then to pour salt on the wound, she let's him know it was a boy, which is a fairly big deal to an Italian man.

Her excuse for the whole thing is that "this must all end", but that doesn't make much sense as he already has a son who could potentially take over the family business. I think she would be rationalizing it that way to cover up that she essentially commited a more heinous act than Michael ever has. She took a life, and I'm defining it as a life at that point because gender was distinguishable, for no other reason than she was unhappy with her situation and wanted it to change. Michael , at least has always only killed for his business purposes (nothing personal). I realize that it's a terrible rationalization on my part, but in the Godfather universe, I believe that what she did was far more evil, made even worse by the fact that she is back on her high horse in part 3.

What do the Loungers think about this? Am I reading too much into it, or was Kay really ok to do it as it was her only out?