View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: How Do You Meet New People?

[ QUOTE ]
Well, make friends at your school. Talk to people. Its so easy to meet people in a school setting if that's what you want to do. They're all around you!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not as easy for some of us as you think. After 5 years here, I have almost no friends that I see myself talking to in a couple years. This isn't to say that I dislike my friends, but I doubt we'll be keeping in touch after we graduate.

I'm a stereotypical CS major. Introverted, sits in front of the computer X hours/day, etc etc. I think I've always kind of been this way. So this year, I joined a club (basically the first one I've ever joined) and attended almost every event. I even took the time to learn almost everyone's names. Normally, I'm really poor at that kind of stuff. The result? I don't have a single friend in the club. I have a billion theories for why I suck with people, but that's beyond the point. (When I say "friend", I'm not referring to someone who says "hi" and gets my name right about 40% of the time.)

I think it's easy to say how easy it is to make friends, but there are some of us who really struggle with it. I do enjoy reading these types of posts whenever I see them in OOT or EDGD, so thanks to the OP for bringing up the topic.