View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Prove Poker is a Skill Game?

The real proof that poker is a game of skill is stated in the song by Kenny Rogers with the line "You gotta know when to holdem, know when to foldem..."

I just might have a way of proving Kenny Rogers correct.

Pick a method of playing that requires no skill whatsoever. This could be calling every bet or moving all-in every time. So you are playing without making any decisions basically.

Now let's pick two stake levels say one is 0.05/0.10 NL and the other is 50/100 NL cash games online. Give two players 10,000BB bankrolls and send them to their respective tables to play for a predetermined amount of time. This trial can include multiple players at multiple tables or whatever to get a statisically significant result (i.e. short term variance should be somewhat flattened out).

The final result would be to analyze will be the amount of BBs each player has left after the trial period.

This test would not be a measure of how well a pre-determined robot method of playing works but would assess the abiltity of players to adjust to it and presumably defeat it since it is surely not optimal.

If the 50/100 players consistently extract more money from these "auto" players, then I think we can conclude they have more skill than the 0.05/0.10 players.

Call me crazy but don't call me at home.