Thread: Sushi in Vegas
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vegas is 4 hours from the coast. What, you think you can only get fresh fish if you're ankle deep in salt water?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 hours more fresh, yes. Call me crazy, but I think that's quite a long time for raw fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
The health code here in New York says that fish cannot be served raw without having been frozen.

Of course all the sushi restaurants try to keep it a secret.

So much for "fresh fish".

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually read the 24 (!!!) page manual of handling instructions from catch to plate to call fish "sushi" grade.

Some reality:

1) Tunas are killed, bled and are best served 3 days later. Plenty to time for transportation. If you have doubts go to the websites that describe the handling for the pen raised bluefin tuna off of Baja and Australia. I've seen the offshore Baja pens.

2) A lot of fish destined for the sushi bar is quickly frozen to kill all the little critters. Parasite protection. Having cleaned 1000's of lbs. of fish, I've encountered lots of critters under the skins of fish, but the vast majority are harmless to humans.

Whether your fish is fresh or frozen depends on your restaurant and its wholesaler. You can always ask about your restaurants handling practices and standards.