View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Excel Help Needed

kerowo - Thanks for the info. I see where that faking it thing pretty much does the trick for me.

My problem stems from the fact that I made a huge spreadsheet that would have been more apropriate for a database. Unfortunately I know nothing about database programs at all. It was easy to enter all my info in a spreadsheet though. It was only after I had entered over 1200 cells of info that I thought of hpyerlinking some of it for ease of search.

I have 3 columns of data: Name, Year, Type
Some of the entries are related to one other entry. When I come across one of these I just want to be able to click on it and go to the other entry to see all the info on it.
I sometimes want them sorted by Name, sometime by Year, sometimes by type. So sometimes the entries are next to each other but depending on how I sort sometimes they can be 200 entries away. A hyperlink between the 2 related sets seemed like the quickest way to find the corresponding entry.
Problem is after I did my hyperlinks and resorted by a different criteria the hyperlinks were pointing to wrong locations. Also I am still adding data.

Very few of the entries need to be linked like this so a seperate table a few columns over might be the way to go. Or I could always learn to use Access. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]