View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: What is your motivation to make more money?

No one wants a jet / $50 mil house / sports team(cheap one, not the Yankees)? Check out sothebysrealty.com and locations like Bridgehampton / Cote d'Azur / Lake Tahoe / Greenwich CT. Before I saw that website, I also wanted a $2mil house.

Personally, I have no monetary goals, but since I was very young the only real goal was of lifetime independence(not ever having to work for anyone else). Simply poker's existence (and it will always exist) has taken care of that for life, and I am incredibly thankful. Meanwhile, I spend ~10 hrs per day on accumulating knowledge in economics / finance / trading / investing(only because its the only thing more fun than poker), and when I reach some arbitrary knowledge threshold(maybe in 5 years), I'll start a hedge fund (with only personal funds) - I don't care if ~500k AUM is laughable.

If performance is good, I'm sure small sums ( a few mil.) won't be too hard to find from outside investors. If performance not good, stop loss will be very tight, and I'll take another self-administered course of "finance knowledge" for a year or two, and try again.

I plan on repeating this process until I die / become mentally incapacitated, and will be extremely happy even if I am 77 living in a 1br condo with less than 1mil. networth, while starting businesses / hedge funds and playing poker to fund them. My only real goal would have been achieved regardless.

Also, if someone offered me USD 10 billion right now with the stipulation of a lifetime ban from any sort of activity involving poker / business / finance / capital markets, I would reject it. Anyone else as crazy as me?