View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Andrew Albright\'s PLO article

In your skimming, I think that you've missed a main point of the article:

"2) Discussion of the effect of pot size on profitability"

And I think that you also miss the point of the EV analysis, which is used to prove that a certain line is superior at a given stack size. As the stack sizes change, so does the profitability of this autopush-any-turn play. If you walk around with a summary chart of how to play certain "standard plays", then you can be exploited because there will be a point at which the standard play is no longer correct.

The point about "throwing away top set" was from an example of only being able to commit a small % (e.g. 5%) of your stack on the flop when OUT OF POSITION. So now when a scare card hits the turn, what exactly are you going to do with a solid opponent behind you? Throwing it away may be an exaggeration to make a point, but if you play that top set on the draw heavy board you'll make less money and win more if the positions were reveresed.

I think knowing how to play this sort of situation is interesting in that it shows the important factors that one needs to grasp to make the "correct" play. Only one of those factors is really examined here.