View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

I was the one that started the Lost in Translation comparison. After the similarities first crossed my mind I found where other people had compared them as well.

For me both movies were essentially about connecting with another human being. The largest chunk of our lives is spent alone in our brains. Our life experience, although it can be similar to someone else's, is essentialy unique. It is rare in life to really connect with someone else. I have close friends I have known for 30 years and we still don't 'know' each other.

Both these movies attempted to portray how special that rare connection can be when it happens. Sunrise tackled it as a love story and for me, was consequently much more mundane.

Translation was a deeper and more joyfull connection to behold. Translation was a tougher movie for me to watch as it was less clear for a longer time what it was about. When it pulled together in the end I was as blown away as I have ever been at a movie. I thought Sophia did a brilliant job constructing that film. I thought Linklater did a good job of constructing a love story.

I realize I'm in the minority. Sunrise (and Sunset) were both well made films with good acting, but for me they didn't really deliver anthing more than the story itself. Translation got me high.