View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Explaining why minbetting isn\'t good

As requested..

Your attitude is wrong. There's nothing inherently wrong with minraising. Also, minraising =/= minbetting. We're not talking about betting 1BB into a 50BB pot or something.

I don't recall the Bond hand, but I do know that every once in a while I'll throw in a minraise or a raise that's close to the minimum. It's a situational thing.

You're making it look like it's your brother's standard move. I know from playing with him that that's far from the case [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The problem is the way you put it. As you well know, statements that are black and white are always fairly easy to disprove. All you need is one counter-example. I know you said 'almost always', but even that's too strong.

Think about it. What do you do if you miss the flop and someone minraises your cbet? It's gonna cost you a lot more to fire that second barrel now - either on the flop or on the turn. A pretty cheap way for him to get you off your hand if you both have nothing, which happens often.

You can't overdo it, of course, but that goes for any move. And it has its problems when you do have something - it allows him to peel one off cheaply, which might hurt you.

I know it's not a popular move, but 'almost always wrong' is too much IMO.