View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: OOT: Help me settle a dispute between physical and mental addicti

[ QUOTE ]
I'll say that I've gone months without smoking and had no physical "cravings" and still found it very difficult not to light up if I see someone smoking on tv, etc. And now I still smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had a similar experience with you with regards to smoking. I was perfectly fine getting over the physical addiction, but the mental addiction was, and still is extremely hard to get over. In fact for me, cigarettes are nearlly 100% a mental addiction.

Many times, I've heard from others that when they were trying to quit, they would get agitated and cranky due to nicotine withdrawl. For me, I had none of those symptoms. It was just when I would see it on TV/movies, or if I was around others who were smoking, or after a large meal, it would be extremely difficult not to have one. If I wasn't tempted, or reminded of it though, I don't need it at all.

I used to chew on straws as a substitute, which worked to an extent, but there's something about the actual act of exhaling the smoke that cannot be replicated by chewing on straws. For me, it was more the act of smoking that calmed and relaxed me, more than the nicotine.