View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Is chasing higher ranked hands ever justified?

[ QUOTE ]
In the interests of full disclosure, I should admit that I am a bit of a chaser myself - and like your story - it seems that (more often than not) when I'm chasing and hit it, it's always a huge pot versus when I have pocket pairs.

I understand the concepts of pot odds and hand rankings based on mathematics, but if there is really no defense in limit games against chasing - what can you do other than bet once and you will simply be called down until the chaser either makes their hand or doesn't and gives up - then why isn't chasing the flushes/straights considered more of a viable strategy? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

SSHE explains all of this in-depth, I'd recommend reading it.

In a nutshell, try to face the field with bets that make it mathematically incorrect for those chasing to call. For example, if preflop raiser is to your left then lead the flop on a vulernable leading hand hoping the raiser will face the field with 2 bets. Or if preflop raiser is to your right then go for the checkraise. Or perhaps wait for a safer turn card before attempting this sorta stuff (where there are a zillion turn cards that could kill your hand). Some of those chasing will have correct odds to continue (you almost always do chasing an open ended straight draw or flush draw); you just gotta make them pay as much as possible so when they miss you win as much as you can. And some will still incorrectly chase their longshots and suck out on you from time to time, but you still win in the long run when they do this cuz eventually (long long term eventually) the numbers will approach their expected value and they'll be making the long term losing play while you'll be making the long term winning play.

I guess the only question I have regarding this strategy is whether I will ever play enough poker hands over my life time to have all the numbers approach their expected values. In other words, if I played perfectly over an infinite amount of time I'd come out a winner (and that's a big IF I played perfectly, cuz I don't [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]); but over a mere life time I think a lot of it is simply going to be left up to luck.

G0.5BB/hourcluelessnoobG