View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Applying for an entry-level job at a hedge fund

[ QUOTE ]
I know that kids from Yale have to be incredible to get Hedge Fund jobs right out of school. I am talking like 3.8+ GPA and some great extacurricular like All-Ivy athlete, head of some big campus organization, etc. [censored], I am a 3.35 econ major and I am trying to build alumni contacts right now so I am sure to get interviews next fall. The big firms (Goldman, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Lehman Bros., etc.) have way to many 3.5 Ivy League white males applying to their jobs, so you have to stand out.

[/ QUOTE ]

OR you have to know people and interview exceptionally well.

getting that first interview is tough. i'd suggest not going through GLOCAP and instead reach out to every contact you could possibly know and do it that way.

i'm right now in the midst of my own job search and glocap has provided me with no interviews yet (there are 2 on the table though that look promising). my 2 other headhunters have also not provided an interview.

my personal contacts, however, have put me in touch with 2 wall street legends and the president & ceo of a equity trading & macro research firm 2.5 miles from where i live as well as the managing director of a branch of Cerberus (my top two choices though would be the firm 2.5 miles from me or the one via glocap. the wall street guys could simply provide more and more contacts though so you never know)

you have to go through personal contacts (which is how i got the job at the top hedge fund i worked at previously)

Barron