View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Is chasing higher ranked hands ever justified?

NL and Limit hand values are very similar. So no, big drawing hands can't be prefered over pocket aces... if I had to pick any one hand to get over and over again it would be AA, not 10J suited or something. Drawing hands can be valuable though... very much so.

Example: The other day playing my local 3/6 game... I had 6d8d on the button, this table happened to be very passive and the gentlemen on the blinds were total donks.

4 people in front of me and I'm sure the 2 behind are just calling, so I call this moderate 1 gapped SC. The flop was 7c 9d Qd. Huge draw for me... SB bets... EVERYONE calls so of course I'm going to call right? Wrong... I RAISE for vaule... paying an extra 3 bucks now to make a whole lot more when I hit... this was done KNOWING that I

1. Would not get raised, and
2. Would get called by everyone

...I hit the flush on the turn, SB bet, I raised, he and the BB called. River was a blank, he bet again, I raised again and he and the BB called and I dragged a massive pot.

Moral, with that kind of potential leading into the turn, my hand had more equity than pocket pairs becuase all of my straight and flush outs were live.

And just to reinforce what everyone else said, do not play that hand differently from now on because "you'll just get sucked out again." You must keep getting your money in there because if you begin just checking hands down and not forcing people to mistakenly chase draws according to given odds, they aren't paying you any of the money that you should be making.