View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Ethical question, stealing from a theif

[ QUOTE ]
You are effectively restealing from his former employer, who still is out that money. So the ethical thing to do is either leave it alone or rat him out, not try to justify taking the ill-gotten gains he currently possesses. However if you do hypocritically justify it to yourself to take a Franklin, then you might as well just take it all for the poetic "justice" of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he were not legally free of the crime then I think you have just become an accessory after the fact unless you do something. The only way I can think of where he could be legally free is if he had been tried for the crime and aquited. In which case, you do not enjoy his immunity from double jepardy and I think could still be considered an accessory after the fact. Just on a legal basis you could be justified in returning the money to his former place of work. If he is legally immune to charges you're not putting him in any legal danger by doing this. But it might hurt his reputation if his roommate is seen returning the cash. So you could just return it annonymously. Put it in a bus locker and send them the key with a note. This will free you of legal danger but not of his wrath. Ethically, I might just mind my own business. I wouldn't steal from him though.

PairTheBoard