View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Managing Inboxes for a small organization

I'm looking for advice from someone who has managed email accounts before.
I'm setting up a website and email for my non profit organization. I want to set up email addresses for all the board members. This will be by position though, not by person. So I want president@organization.org, secretary@organization.org, etc.
The website is hosted by godaddy, so we get a bunch of 10MB accounts. Instead of these I think my best bet is to just use the forwarding option to gmail accounts so I don't have storage constraints.
An additional constraint is these board members will change and I want the replacements to have access to old emails. So these are the two options I'm considering:
Set Up 1:
Go Daddy forwards each account to a position specific gmail address. So president@organization.org forwards to organizationPresident@gmail.com. Access to these accounts would be given to the successors. These could then be set up to forward a second time to joeblow@wherever.com
Set up 2:
All emails forward to organizationName@gmail.com. This gmail address forwards to the board members personal email accounts. So every <position>@organization.org forwards to organization@gmail.com, which then doles them out to joeblow1@hotmail.com joeblow2@yahoo.com, etc.

Anyone have any experience from a usability standpoint which will be most convenient for board members to use, but still be reasonable to leave access to future board members.
I think set up 1 sounds best, but my concern is their is some configuration each time a position changes, and users may not be comfortable with the set up for their personal mail to sometimes be sent from <position>@organization.org, or if they just access the gmail account, they won't check it often enough.

Set up 2 seems alright, and I guess has the same problem as set up 1, but is just fewer gmail accounts to manage. It has the added problem of many people accessing one account for old emails.

I don't see privacy as a concern, as these will all be organization related, and any info passed through these email addresses won't be sensitive.

Any better ideas than the set ups I have mentioned? Any reasons not to go with set up 1? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something from a logistical standpoint that will make this a pain in the ass to manage.