View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Beer in Belgium (trip report)

[ QUOTE ]
cool trip report. sorry for a slight hijack, but I was wondering if you guys could give some beer recommendations for a guy that doesn't really like beer. I haven't tried much but for some reason don't really like the taste; would like to give it more tries. I've tried bud/heineken/fat tire and though I could tell fat tire was way better, the taste still didn't appeal to me. But I would like to like beer. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

the first 'good' beer I remember liking was Pete's Summer Ale. it was really crisp and refreshing. it depends what tastes you exactly don't like - if you hate bitterness, then stay away from IPA's. my advice would be to try a few different styles and see what you like

a stout (Guinness), a Pale Ale (Sierra Nevada), an IPA (Dogfish 90 minute), and English Ale (Bass), and maybe a couple Belgian styles like a Saison (Saison Dupont or the excellent American Saison Hennepin) and a Belgian Ale (Chimay, or an American take on it, Ommegang).

both Hennepin and Ommegang are brewed in NY by Brewery Ommegang. They do various Belgian styles there, and the Quadruple they make is very good as well. I buy a lot of these beers, as for $5 or $6 per 750 ml they provide much better value than an $8 or $9 Duvel/Chimay. I really recommend them. other American breweries like Stone Brewing, Dogfish, and Russian River Brewing Company also make great Belgian style beers.

in fact, the brewer at Cantillon told me the brewmaster from Russian River (Vinnie) has come out to visit him 5 or 6 times, and even made a Lambic. they are a big fan of Russian River over there. hooray for American beer!