View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: ethics vs. morality: short question, long story, and pedophelia

[ QUOTE ]
Your friends are pretty stupid as far as ethics go. There clearly ARE absolutes, like the case you described, or random genocide or whatever---but I think that there are far fewer absolutes than people like to admit. Pedophilia for one is certainly a case-by-case type of deal. It would be wrong for some children and probably some would not be harmed by it (and/or would enjoy it). I personally think that most children are far too young to think through everything (and they also just don't look good until they hit/pass puberty!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, I think there clearly AREN'T absolutes. Wouldn't an absolute wrong require that everyone aside from sociopaths believe that a certain action is evil? Clearly a large percentage of Nazi Germany was perfectly ok with genocide. Even though the vast majority of people believe in the morality of a particular action doesn't make it absolute.

In fact, you are pretty much conceding this by saying there aren't very many absolutes. As society progresses our morality progresses. It's never a fixed thing.