View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: It\'s a shame about my street

[ QUOTE ]
HOA wouldn't necessarily solve the problem either. What if instead of threatening to flood just my street, the river threatened to flood an entire county? I really doubt that such massive HOAs would ever exist. Or what if the area threatened by the flood subsumed several different HOAs?

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems very likely HOAs would have contracts over any type of scenario that could involve multiple HOAs.
[ QUOTE ]
I addressed HOAs briefly in an edit. Regardless, my main point was not to prove free rider problems are 100% insurmountable without coercion,

[/ QUOTE ]
That would depend on your defintion of insurmountable, but I suppose I agree.
[ QUOTE ]
but that Borodog's post was intellectually dishonest for just completely writing off the issue with one little anecdote.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken he later on goes into detail with TomCollins on alternative solutions (I'm going on memory though, that might have been a different thread).

[ QUOTE ]
And fine, let's say the probability of flooding was 10%. Insurance would still have been -EV at the time we would have purchased insurance, unless the insurance company had mistakenly based their rates on a lower probability.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't make sense. Insurance rates take into consideration the chances of the event in question.