View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Satellite vs. Cable TV

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fall 2007 DirectTV will roll out their new HD lineup. It will be over 100 channels. It will be the most HD content out there. Besides, I hate cable companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know for sure, but I imagine Comcast (and cable companies in general) will at least attempt to stay competitive re: # of available HD channels.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's more complicated than that.

1) DirecTV will have the capability to carry over 100 HD channels. How many will actually be available is not yet certain, I don't believe.

2) That capability hinges on the fact that Directv switched over to H.264 encoding, which frees up a lot of bandwith. You will have to have a capable receiver. I don't think cable companies, with existing equipment, have the bandwith to offer anything similar. I have no idea what steps, if any, they are taking to convert.

Unsubstantiated personal fear: As always, providers take a "quantity over quality" approach to channel lineups. Easier for them to market. I am worried that, despite the h.264 improvement, they will still have to compress the hell out of the signal to fit that many HD channels. I hope quality does not suffer.