View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Grade the June Magazine

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here of course is that maximising your EV and winning the most chips is not the same thing in tournaments like it is in a cash game - you're damn right you should be afraid of bubbling out if by playing aggressively you decrease your EV, which is nearly always the case on the bubble. This is why the big stack has such a huge advantage at this stage. I'm sure he knows this - hell I don't even play tournaments and I know it. This is why the article is disappointing imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your paragraph quoted above is exactly why Adam wrote the article. Because most people "fear" bubbling out. And you are absolutely wrong (assuming you are playing within your bankroll) that you should "fear" bubbling out. In large MTTs, making it in the money is of little value. The key to making profits, as Adam's article makes very clear, is winning MTTs. To win you must get all of the chips.

Most MTT regulars advise that you should always make the play that has the greatest positive chip expectation in multitable tournaments. The only exceptions to this are at the Final Table where the payout structure dictates that survival actually has a lot of value and in multi-seat satellites where bubbling is a disaster. Otherwise, Adam's article makes it very clear that you should play to get all of the chips. Most people don't play (or think) that way as you have clearly demonstrated.