View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power
Default Re: david mentoring brandi

Brandi,

I wouldn't normally waste my time commenting, but I know that our obsession with you is equaled by your obsession of what we think of you, so I know my comment will be read by you.

Your post tells us that your understanding of poker is still at an elementary level.

You excel at every game? I don't doubt that David is a great teacher, but this is a ridiculous claim. I've spent years studying hold'em, nl and limit cash, short and full, and tournament poker and I can't claim I excel at any of those. I win at all of them, but I'm still middle of the pack in understanding. Yet in a fraction of that time, you excel at all the games. That sort of claim should be limited to Phil Ivey and PA.

You knew you were a 76% favorite with AKs? Did you see his cards in the reflection off his sunglasses? The rest of us work in ranges. We have him dominated X%, we're in a coin flop X%, he has us dominated X%. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, perhaps you've taken poker to the next level where you can work without ranges and put people on exact hands.

Before the flop you believe that due to David's and other pros lessons you will now be, on average, a 75% to 95% favorite. This is really where you show your ignorance. 95% isn't even possible unless you're in an AA vs KK and KK situation. Something like KK vs K2o gets close but still falls short. But forget the 95%. The idea that you think you can average that sort of edge is laughable. You never push with KK or QQ and run into a bigger pair? You never take coinflips? You never get short stacked and have to push with medium holdings? You never make a call, knowing you're behind but it's mathematically correct? You never pressure small stacks, putting their tournament life on the line and get called?

Of course you do, if you're halfway decent. And all of those situations bring down your average. It's that part of the statement that shows you're still very lacking in the math department.

It's the idea that, for the most part, you're going to be getting your money in preflop in only pair over pair (and maybe AK vs Ax) situations that shows your lack of poker understanding. You can play this style, many donkeys do, but you'll end up playing a small stack that eventually takes a bad beat from a big stack or is forced allin in the blinds with trash.

If you want to learn to become a winning poker player, I say go for it. Sounds like you have some competent teachers. But to strut around here like your already a winner, excelling at all the games, only serves to make you look ridiculous.

That being said, I find you hot. I'll be in Vegas in a few weeks and if you're needing a satilite entry, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.