View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Offered an IT job - what to request as salary

This is no doubt an entry level IT position. If you have a 4 year degree, in the Washington DC Metro area (where I live) you can expect to make about $45k-$50k.

London, Ontario. That's close to Detroit, right? I just used a couple of those cost-of-living comparison calculators that you can google for and that says you are looking at about $32k-$36k.

I'm assuming you don't have benefits with your part-time gig right now. Is this startup company going to offer benefits (other than the education one already offered?). This is one of those cases were you are going to have to look at the Total Compensation Package (Benefits + Salary).

Depending on the other benefits provided/offered I would probably ask for somewhere around $45k. They offered you the job, so don't be afraid to go high. It's highly doubtful (since they came to you) that they would run away from a big # right off the bat. They will no doubt come back and say well this is what we had in mind and then you can work from there.

You might just end up at like $35-$37. This + other benefits (education/health/etc) + (it sounds like you don't like your job right now) would still be good for you.