View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 11:05 PM

Default Re: destroying my home game but feeling guilty....

We just did our first non-tourny cash game. We only had 4 people show, but I expect more in the future. We played .02/.05 blinds with a $5 buy in. I had toyed with doing limit instead of NL (even made a thread about it), but in the end, they really would rather play NL. So we did NL and I ended up with 3.25 buy ins.

Of course, I don't care about the money at all. I just want to play poker with my friends (online I play .25/.50 blinds and multitable).

At any rate, one player made an especially bad play because he was trying to check down a shorty who was all in, and kept check/calling my bets because he couldn't figure out why I was betting. After he finished calling off his stack with K high on the turn he asked "why are you betting, just cause it's the end of the evening?" When I showed him my pocket JJ he got all sheepish and suddenly realized how bad he'd play the hand. That was not what I wanted- I wanted him to have fun, not get embarassed.

So my solution is that next time we ARE going to play limit. At least people won't feel dumb in one big pot. They can suck out a little and gamble it up with little risk. Also, it will be easier to explain the rules to a few people who are coming and know NOTHING about poker at all.