View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Help me not get owned when I rent a house for 1year (long)

1) I don't think this is standard. Someone was just posting about this earlier, and the lease will transfer to the new owner in most cases.

2) Every place I ever rented from had a 5 day grace period. If you missed the 5 days, you had to pay the penalty for the original 5 days. I think you choose your battles, and this isn't one of them.

3) This is most likely a CUA provision. I've never heard of anyone REQUIRING it before, though.

4) This is pretty standard. You have to get consent of the landlord. It's not banned, you just have to make sure he allows it. You may want to see how willing your landlord is doing this by asking him off the record. As long as he seems flexible here (he probably will want to check out the person you transfer the lease to, thats all).

I think you need to pick your battles. 1 and 4 seem to be the biggest issues. Require the lease is sold with the house, if it sells. This is pretty important if you are living in a place where moving would be a huge pain in the ass. One way it could screw you is the new landlord jacking up rent a ton on you, or forcing you to move.

You may be able to put some conditions about transfering the lease (e.g. credit rating above xxx, or with deposit) or something if its really important to you. Don't bother with 2 or 3 if the other issues are important to you.