View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Need Advice on Summer Position

Hello all! This may be in the wrong forum, but I'd enjoy the input of the BF&I community.

I'm a recent highschool grad that's about to go away to a well-known college on California's coast and I'm in need of a better summer job. I'm a computer science major, although only moderately experienced in programing. I'd feel extremely unprofessional in a position of this sort unless it was an internship focused on developing skill.

I've worked in a well-paid internship at a Washington Mutual branch for a year while I was sixteen. My responsibilities included all typical teller expectations including handling large amounts of cash with perfect accuracy, handling customers pleasantly and efficiently, and coping well within high-stress situations. I left on great terms and all future/prospective employers were very impressed with this experience.

After the year-long internship with WaMu ended I began work at a local EB Games branch as a part-time sales associate while in my senior year. I out-performed all competition within the sales figures (concerning specialty products, sales performance at EB is not scaled on dollars spent). Many weeks I demolished the competition within the entire mid-state region's associates and am called a prodigy by the district manager. Prior to Gamestop's acquisition of EB Games, EB paid commission for the sales that I do well in. However, I joined the team after the merger and am out of luck in such regard. I'm currently making a meager $7.70/hr, although there's talk of promoting me to Asst. Manager ($13-15/hr).

My problem is that I need/want to make more money than what they're offering. I'm hoping that BF&I can recommend some sort of position that I could pursue to make more money over the summer. I've just turned 18 years old, so legality issues are no longer a problem. And, of course, some may bring up poker. I'm playing about 15 hours a week while working full-time but my bankroll isn't nearly large enough at this point to support myself through school. I'm hoping that I'll reach that point about a semester into college.

Any ideas?