View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Question on raising/\"one chip rule\"

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as I regularly play in "Brettski's House", I think I know how it works there. Brett was indeed talking about No Limit and the 50% rule, not to be confused with the Half-Bet Rule for Limit. So let me expand on OP's scenario:

1/2 NL game:
P1 raises to $6
P2 throws out two red ($5) chips without saying anything. This is a call of $6.
P3 then throws out a 5 and four 1s. This is a raise to $10.

The minimum raise is to $10. If P3 bet $7, according to the 50% rule, he must take $1 back, and his bet is actually a call of $6. If P3 bet $8 or $9, his raise is >=50% of a min-raise, and the ruling is he must complete the min-raise to $10.

Correct Brett?

[/ QUOTE ]

100% correct. Pardon the pun.

[ QUOTE ]
However, while I accept this to be the rule, I am not sure that this is standard across most cardrooms. Robert's Rule 14-11 states: If a player tries to bet or raise less than the legal minimum and has more chips, the wager must be increased to the proper size. The wager is brought up to the sufficient amount only, no greater size. Does this not imply that if P3 put in a 5 and two 1s that this should be deemed a raise to $10, at odds with Brettski's 50% rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only comment I would make about Robert's Rules in this matter is that this is not what we do at Crown (yes, it appears that what he's saying conflicts with our 50% rule). I guess that if, under those rules, I bet $1,000 and my opponent makes the bet $1,001, he would have to make the bet up to $2,000. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]