Thread: My MMA fight...
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: My MMA fight...

If you've competed in TKD before, you probably know how hard it is to learn something so that you can do in a competition environment. It will be the same with learning any useful grappling in four weeks. I think you need to focus on a couple techniques that you can learn easily and only practice those for the whole four weeks.

My suggestions for techniques are 1 - learn how to get and hold the mount. You won't need any complex mount techniques against another beginner, but you need to learn how to hold the position when someone is bucking like crazy under you. 2 - Learn one finish. I think the paintbrush from the mount is easier than the armbar. Armbar is a complex motion and if you miss it, it leaves you in a bad position. The paintbrush is simple and if you mess up, you're still mounted on the guy. 3 - Learn one position from the guard to get you out of trouble (you don't want to sit in your guard with a guy hitting you until you have lots of practice). I suggest the arm drag for this. It's a simple motion, and you can use it as an effective takedown as well. Practice grabbing the guys arms/wrists from the guard and arm dragging him so you can get behind him. From there you can use position to hit him even if you don't know how to choke him.

Other than that, work on your cardio. The average guy will be winded within two minutes of a real fight starting. If you're cardio is good enough you can usually roll over someone pretty quickly once they tire out.