View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Chinese official given death penalty for corruption

Sorry if this has been discussed already, or would be better suited to the politics forum.
Details

Summary: Former head of State Food and Drug Administration in China sentenced to death for accepting bribes to approve scores of useless/dangerous drugs.

I'm not really sure what my take is (I don't even have a strong stance for/against the DP). The cynic inside me says this is a PR move by the Chinese government after the recent pet food disaster, and that this wouldn't happen solely if it killed some of their citizens--but some US citizens lost their pets so it's important to appear to be doing something. It's possible it will get whittled down to a long prison term. I'm not sure how common the death penalty is in China.

[ QUOTE ]
Thirteen babies died of malnutrition in 2005 after being fed powdered milk that contained no nutritional value.

[/ QUOTE ] Kinda pissed me off. It seems pretty hard to produce a food item and not accidentally have some nutritional value to it.

Should he get the death penalty for this? What about the manufacturers of all the drugs/food/toothpaste?