View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Beat: Nearing busto - What to do?

So I've been playing semi-professionally since August of last year. I started off playing MTTs and SNGs and moved to cash games with MTTs and SNGs mixed in. I started running bad last semester around October( I go to Syracuse U.). It was a sick downswing and the only thing kept my bankroll alive was the fact that I was running normally live (Turning Stone).

Around Feb. of this year was the peak of my downswing as I almost went broke and had to rebuild from almost nothing(I got staked a bit as well). I kept grinding while taking way too many shots at MTTs out of my roll. I was playing well but I would constantly final table bubble due to either a lost flip or a suckout. Sounds pretty trite, but it's the truth and friends who watched me play online/live cringe at some of the beats I've taken.

I was always trying to put myself back into the mindset to grind but it's really hard when you beat levels substantially higher than the one you're playing. Recently I'd been 4-6 tabling .5/1 NL at around 8/100 but couldn't take the wins seriously and played MTTs out of my bankroll.

What really sent me over the edge was a pretty heartbreaking beat i took 2 weeks ago. I played the 100k gauranteed and was playing great. It's down to 15 players, 32k for 1st. I am 5/15 at this point, to sum it up quickly i get it all in with KK vs 66 on a JJ2r flop for more or less a shared CL with ActionJeff and the villain turns a 6 to bust me. I've taken plenty of beats like this and worse but this just set me off.
So my choices are:

1. Get staked - I've done it before, and would most def. be able to do it again since I have good stats.

2. Play out of my roll - All or nothing.

3. Grind low stakes games (lower than even .5/1 NL)

4. Get a job - this would be a major beat and would make me feel sick inside because as a college student I would not be able to make any decent money, and the fact that I could beat a ton of games online for much better $ would drive me nuts.

Appreciate the Advice,
Stan