View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Objective talking points for immediate troop withdrawl from Iraq

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you had to give someone, who has very little knowledge about the U.S.' situation in Iraq, an objective overview of the pros and cons of immediately withdrawing our troops from Iraq, what would you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your framing is fallacious. The troops over there are not "mine". Yet I'm forced to pay for them. If the people who want to do this stuff were the ones paying for it, instead of offloading those costs onto everybody else, we wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem.

I don't like jelly doughnuts, but my neighbor does. Fortunately, he pays for his doughnuts with his own money, so I don't really care about the "pros and cons" of him buying or not buying jelly doughnuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, an important difference here is that even if your cash isn't used to fund a foreign war, the risk of potential retribution to you still goes up. Provoking anti-west sentiment in the Middle East has many costs including, but not limited to, the resources consumed to wage war AND the increased risk of retaliation. You're going to bear the risk costs anyway, so you should still "care", unlike the jelly doughnut example.