View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Cost-benefit analysis of going pro, please help (VERY LONG)

tl, sorta read, but this

[ QUOTE ]
While my job looks great on paper, I sit at a desk doing data analysis from 9am until 6 or 630pm (sometimes later and weekends if there is a client deadline). I feel chained to my desk and often do not enjoy the repetitive tasks . . . . Sometimes they are interesting and exciting; other times they are not. . . .This is stressful and I often don’t see the fruits of my labour

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds to me pretty much exactly like how a lot of the professionals here describe online poker after a few months. So I doubt that you'd be escaping from this particular aspect of things. I think it's just a harsh reality that no matter what you do, there are likely to be long stretches of boring ass grunt work that you've gotta put in.

Also

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, I could very easily succeed in business or academia or in another socially accepted career.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably depends on how you define success. I can't speak to business, but I'll say that easy success in academia isn't really something that happens. It sounds like you haven't been exposed to enough smart people to have a sense for just how many there are, and where you stand. Not that this is particularly relevant to anything, just felt like mentioning it.

Posts like this almost always sound like the person already has their mind made up. This one is no exception - I can't see you doing anything other than playing poker, for the short term. Well, good luck with that.