View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Should the US support Venezuelan Rebels?

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on finding some left wing "psuedoresearch" on the interwebs.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was fairly easy--I used a notoriously left-leaning search engine so it's not surprising that the results were so slanted.

[ QUOTE ]
Freedom of the press is one of the most basic freedoms.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. As I stated earlier,

[ QUOTE ]
I was just responding to the "prosperous" in [your] contention that Chavez "eliminates the possibility of a free and prosperous Venezuela."*

[/ QUOTE ]

Reporters Without Borders issues a yearly Worldwide Press Freedom Index which indicates that Venezuela ranks poorly in press freedom--115th of 168. (The United States ranks 53rd.) There is clearly room for improvement, and any instance of a government shutting down a media organization should be viewed with skepticism and suspicion.

As such, I can see how one could argue that Chavez "eliminates the possibility of a free...Venezuela," though I'd strongly disagree with that viewpoint. However, I haven't come across evidence to support your view that Chavez "eliminates the possibility of a...prosperous Venezuela." In fact, I even provided some evidence that this view is factually incorrect.

Consequently, I can't find much validity in your contentions that "Hugo must go..." for the reasons you've provided.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did you know that 95% of the world's oil is controlled by national oil companies? Those state owned oil companies are notorious for over producing, which led to the glut of the late 1980's and 1990's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fascinating.

*To be fair, you might have been using the phrase "free and prosperous" in a "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness," pie-in-the-sky, nebulous sort of way that can only be satisfied by a United States-sanctioned regime, in which case we have an entirely different discussion on our hands.