View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: high school kids protest

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously? I mean the 10% policy has its problems, but it seriously levels the playing field - there's definitely a lot of room to consider it a good policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I went to a Texas public school and it was laughingly easy to be in the top 10%. There are very few schools in Texas where this is legitamitely a tough task. So if you happen to go to one of those schools, you just need to pull a 1200+ SAT and you will be fine. I don't understand why someone who was a 1050 SAT but went to a "hard" school in their upper class white neighborhood has a right to complain about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What school did you go to? One person I know had a 1250+ SAT score and was denied entry to UT because of the top 10% rule. I forget her exact score, it was probably above 1300. She had AP credits, finished in the top 20% of a tough high school, had a 3.8 or so. Of course, one year at Texas State with a 4.0 she was admitted transfer after all the morons who couldn't even read failed out.

I went to a hard high school in Ohio, was about 13th percent in my high school (due to a crappy weighting system where taking an AP class and getting a B was worse than getting an A in a basic class). 1450 SAT, 32 ACT. I don't have the stat now, but something like 75-80% of the admissions to UT are due to the 10% rule. I wish I could find the stat, but its HUGE.

If you want to make it a top 5% get into the school of their choice, top 10% get into SOME school out of many (maybe not their top choice), it would be much better. You have all the out-of-state people competing with all of the good, but not top 10% in-staters for the remaining few spots.