View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (Yet another) IP question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but there are other things (most notably pharmacuticals) that cost large amounts to research. No one is going to spend billions on research if they know their product is going to get ripped off and sold for only what materials cost to make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where would those billions of dollars go? What stuff is not being developed and invested in because patentable items have higher profit margins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I took so long Tol, I'm away from home right now.

In any case, I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you saying that the Pharm industry is making hard-on pills and not cancer drugs because they're more profitable. If so, this is certainly the case, but it's the case in any system that's not 100% centrally planned, money wins out.

I don't think patents have a large effect on what drugs we make. We make them largely on consumer need. People complain that there isn't a cure for AIDS, but its not because no one is doing any research, it's because we are no closer to curing that then we are the common cold. In short, viruses are a bitch.

Secondly, I've heard some people lament that we only get treatments now, no cures. Well this is sort of true, but you have to remember, patents don't really encourage this. Patents are good for 7 years, and many don't run the full length (damn lawsuits) so having an 80 year treatment plan does little good when you consider that every generic lab in the world is going to be undercutting you in a max of 7 years.

Cody