View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Should I steal this money?

I am completely broke, having as usual lost this week's wages playing online poker. I spent my last £1.50 ($3) on food for Saturday-Monday. I have nothing in the cupboards except a packet of pasta (no butter, oil, garlic, sauce etc). I haven't eaten in 24 hours.

I am currently in an ongoing temporary position as a legal secretary; I've been at the firm since February. A woman just left on Friday, and from today I'm doing her role, with the option of applying for the permament post if I want to.

Looking in the departed lady's drawers, I found a half-packet of biscuits and three small chocolates, which I eat without thought. I also found three sealed envelopes containing small change: £2.50 in five pence pieces, £1.70 in one pence pieces, and £2.30 in two pence pieces. The totals are written on the outsides of the envelopes. So in total there's £6.50 / $13.

Can I take this money to buy myself the food to live on until payday on Friday?

Yes, it would be theft. But she has left the firm and not taken this money with her, so why not? My only worry would be if she came back to say hello to her former colleagues, and remembered / asked about it, but that doesn't seem likely.

If you were starving - albeit through your own fault - would you take it? Or would you try to borrow money from a friend instead?