View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Health & Exercise Log: College Athlete Shape or Bust

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and as far as being pretty weak for an athlete: You're right! My mom has muscular dystrophy (a hereditary condition which causes gradual atrophy of the muscles). I don't *have* in anything resembling its full effect, but it has given me very weak upper body muscles. I was never able to throw a baseball/football far, etc.

FWIW, I actually have pretty strong legs, which has always been my trump card as an athlete. (Quick acceleration on the pitch, beating forwards to loose balls, etc).

Could someone with stronger soccer background than myself (i.e, someone who played/coached college soccer) comment on the overall importance (or lack thereof) of upper body strength to point me in the right direction?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have broad shoulders, but was decently strong for a soccer play in HS (plus I played hockey so I was a little rougher than most of those pansies). I think it did help me a little as far as battling for balls shoulder to shoulder. I wasn't suggesting an exclusively upper body routine. The focus of Rippetoe's Starting Strength is squats, not curls or bench press.

So, I would suggest trying it out. I wish I had known about it in high school.