View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 AM

Default NL10 - nut flush on a paired board

Not real reads, except that I have raised from the Button, Cut Off or Hi Jack four times in the last three orbits. Each time the flop was multi-way, and all other players folded to my flop c-bet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($8.01)
UTG ($2)
UTG+1 ($6.54)
MP1 ($3.24)
MP2 ($6.74)
Hero ($6.59)
Button ($4.97)
SB ($3.94)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15, MP1 calls $0.15.

A nice raise from late position. I'm not playing my hand for ace value, since I've got a crap kicker. I'm playing my position and my aggressive table image. And you never know, I might actually flop something.

Flop: ($0.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Well, I flopped something. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $0.2</font>, Hero calls $0.20, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.25</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $1.05.

I'm a habitual c-bettor. I've recently taken down several pots from late position with c-bets. I see MP1's bet as a sort of bluff/blocking bet/"Shut yo c-bettin' mouth, fool!" bet. I call and hope for an overcall from BB.

The check-raise takes me by surprise. In my mind, he's trying to win the pot right there. That tells me he has a strong hand that's vulnerable to a flush - A big pair, two pair or a set. It could be another flush, but I have the nut flush and right now there is no straight flush possible.

I call, and plan to take down the pot with a nice bet on the turn, or even better a raise on the turn.

Turn: ($3.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

That was not a good turn for me. Two of BB's likely check-raise hands, two pairs &amp; sets, just made a full house or quads. I now find myself with a hand that is too good to fold, but not good enough to bet or raise with.

<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.95</font>, Hero calls $0.95.

River: ($5.40) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.8</font>, Hero calls $0.80.

Final Pot: $7

As I was playing this hand, I really felt at the time that I should have put in a value raise on the river. Even though many of BB's likely hands beat me, I still felt at the time that I was ahead of his range.

Looking back, I think shoving the flop would have been a better play. Thanks to BB's check-raise the pot was big enough to take down right then and there, and I would have been glad to see BB call me with my temporary nuts.

What do you guys say?