View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: tilt explained (by neuroscience)

Hello there.
I`m a new member and I like to start my post count by commenting in this thread.
Don`t mind the spelling and grammar mistakes please , English is not my native language.

I`ve never studied psychology or even read a psychology book so the little knowledge I have on the subject comes from articles and TV.
I `m familiar with the subject discussed in this thread but I don`t think that tilt is a result of the process that is explained here.
What we talk about here is the most primitive biological process that happens to our body when we feel threatened just like every animal on this planet.
And this feeling of danger or being threatened is simply...fear.
It`s the fear that sparks the process.
It starts with chills ( body temperature drops ) to prepare the body for extreme physical labor and adrenaline starts flowing to give you the energy boost for this labor.
Now you are prepared to fight or run for your life.
What this process has to do with Tilt ?

Strangely enough I almost never tilt in poker rooms but online it does not take much to tilt me up.
I don`t feel "threatened" or any fear when i tilt.
I play in my BR limit and few bad beats are hardly going to bankrupt me .
The tilt I`m feeling is actually an anger. I`m angry and I want revenge...right now.
It is a combination of an urge to hurt the dude back in any way I can and an urge to get my chips back fast.
Most usual reaction is to start playing recklessly or move up in stakes for a quick double-up.
Thats tilt.

So... isn`t this more of an anger management and ego issue ?
And if it is , doesn`t this come from some other part of the brain then the most primitive part that almost every living creature has since the beginning of time ?
Does any of the psychology students wants to comment on this ?