View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 AM

Default How badly is the US inciting Islamic hatred against itself?

This may belong in Politics, but I always post here and respect the opinions of many posters here. I'm hoping that this post will spark rational discussion rather than senseless jabbering back and forth.

I've been reading about Islam and the Quran recently and the more I learn, the more scared I become that we are playing right into the hands of the radical and violent Islamic leaders.

There are many passages in the Quran that declare Christians and Jews to be spiritual brothers to Islam. The 'infidels' are only those who actively persecute and oppose Islam. And, from what I can understand, it seems like Muslims cannot justify aggression through their faith. Only self-defense.

So as long as our government keeps insinuating that Islam is a religion of violence and hate, Muslims can view America as attacking their religion. When we claim that we have to go into the Middle East and spread our ideology, radical Muslim leaders can claim that we are assaulting Islam.

It's downright scary since I can't really see either side backing down. It seems like whatever action is made, the other side will claim self-defense and continue the aggression. I think that we might have to be the first one's to turn the other cheek a little bit and stop insisting that the Muslim world conform to all of our ideals when they are clearly unready to do so.