View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Future Baseball Legends

Andy,

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a nostalgic guy as I near my golden years, but can't say I liked the article. Joe DiMaggio and Bob Gibson are legends not because of the haze of nostalgia, but because they were great players. In fact, DiMaggio's reputation has declined in recent years. Nobody would have ranked Mickey Mantle above DiMaggio when Mantle retired in 1968; now everybody does. Catfish Hunter won twenty games five years running and performed well in the World Series.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the author got one thing right, that is greatness and legends have something else about them. Who is going to remember Eddie Murry in 20 years? He was a once in a generation player, but for whatever reasons his personality, style or just where his talent lay will stop him from being in the same class as players who weren't as good but had a better story line. Someone like Kirk Gibson who had a moment to define his legacy, or closer who has the spotlight on him whenever he performs so his efforts appear magnified.
This article, as a whole, is piss poor though. Rivera? He's already a legend, in the making just doesn't apply. Leaving off a guy like Johan? If he ends up winning a WS ring or more with a team like the Dodgers he could easily vault from best pitcher in the league to a guy your kids remember your stories about.