View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Skills, ideas you learned in college

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get a lot of these analytical reading / logical reasoning type things you guys are saying. Were you really incapable of that before college and if so were you incapable of learning to do that yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i suppose i was able to problem solve and think critically out of high school, but college gave me to opportunity to apply these things to various engineering topics/problems. Some of which i use directly at work. Could i have learned these things on my own? Maybe, but i doubt it would have been as effective. Some professors/TAs are pretty useless, so learning the material on your own is what you end up doing. But contrary to what i think alot of students say (usually as an excuse), a decent percentage of professors can actually teach pretty well.. making learning much more efficient then if i had tried on my own.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, these lists are so short it makes me not regret for a second my decision to leave college before finishing. I didn't feel like it was useful at the time and apparently it wasn't going to get much more useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

College definately isnt for everyone, and in general seems to be overrated. I think this is especially true for most people who get liberal arts degrees. But also applies to people who already know exactly what they want to do in life, and what they need to do to get there.