View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Need alchohol suggestions, brother coming home from Iraq

ne14dirt is correct in that the differences between a medium vodka and a premium vodka are probably too subtle for most people to appreciate. I'm going to guess that your brother hasn't had neither time nor opportunity to develop a discerning palate for the subtleties of vodka, so spending upwards of $30 a bottle seems like a waste to me. If he was somewhat of a vodka snob before he went to Iraq, matters change, and the argument for going after a pricey brand to show appreciation for your brother can, of course, also be made.

Anyway, my main concern here is the scotch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Unless you know he's had some experience with scotch, do not go for an Islay whiskey such as Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Some beginners get the taste for smokey/peaty whiskeys right away, but it'll be a gamble on your part. Usually, it takes some time to develop an appreciation for Islay whiskeys.

My current favorite whiskey in the 'affordable' price range is Oban, 14 yo. There's a definite element of peat and smoke to it, but not too much to throw off a beginner. A more conservative choice is the Glenlivet 12 yo, or even the 18 yo if you want to step it up a bit. These are some of the best balanced whiskeys you'll get.

Oh, and for the love of God, don't buy Jack Daniels! The horror!