View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 04:45 AM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But we do know that most religious stories and interpretations are a sad pile of nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The proclamation that they are ridiculous because "we know" they are ridiculous, is not an argument. It is a proclamation of your premise.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]
You missed the last part of my post.
[ QUOTE ]
Even theists agree with that last point

[/ QUOTE ]

Case in point: You don't follow the proclamations of Muhammed. Because you believe them to be ridiculous. You don't sacrifice humans to the Sun God. Because you believe that to be ridiculous. You don't leave offerings for the various gods of Hinduism, because you believe them to be ridiculous. You have probably had unmarried sex, worked on a Sunday, and been rude to your parents at some point. Because you believe those commandments from the mouth of God himself to be ridiculous.

Do you see what I'm getting at? If I'm not justified in calling the weirdo bled Jew myth ridiculous, then you're not justified in calling any of those other things ridiculous, which you do implicitly by not following them, despite their extreme importance if true.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think certain tenets of Religion are ridiculous then you should certainly say so. But saying so doesn't make it so. You should not expect believers in those tenets to just take your word for it. And you certainly aren't going to convince any of them by simply repeating it over and over. Maybe they see other religions as ridiculous. Maybe they see you as ridiculous. Everybody calling everybody ridiculous doesn't get us anywhere.

PairTheBoard