View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

[ QUOTE ]
I failed logic. Remind me which principle of it says we should grant the other guys claim any credence because he says he has evidence. Then when we ask for it, he says, "trust me, I have it, I've experienced it".

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to grant him credence. You can assert that you don't find his evidence acceptable. However he does. So you disagree on this point. You can give arguments for why his "evidence" is unacceptable. You can point out that the unacceptability of his evidence implies his position is ridiculous. But it is unfair of you to insist he see how ridiculous his position is when you have not proven the unacceptability of his evidence. You remain in disagreement on that point.

His position is only ridiculous if his evidence is indeed unacceptable. If you haven't proven that you haven't proven him ridiculous. You may think you have proven that. That is your belief. The Belief his evidence is unacceptable. Proclaiming him ridiculous based on that Belief is just a proclamation of that Belief. You've given up providing arguments for it at that point and have just begun to propagandize.

[ QUOTE ]
Claims do not gain status merely by being made.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly my point.

PairTheBoard