View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Get me in shape for Club Soccer

With apologies:

I know I posted something like this earlier, but I can't find it and my new situation is different. Here goes:

I'll be transferring to UMiami next semester, and I'm hoping to play for their club soccer team. I'm a sweeper/central defender, 5'11 and about 155 lbs. Decent shape due to regular soccer at my old school, but nothing special. Since there's no men's varsity team at UMiami, and since there are so many soccer obsessed Latin Americans in this city, I have a feeling the club team will be at a fairly high level, and I might need to bust my ass to play for them. Assume I need to get into the shape of my life.

As for my current shape: Solid leg muscles (I think?), no real upper body to speak of (although I'm built kinda broad, which helps muscle players off the ball etc). Natural endurance is low, but always improving.

As for what I have access to: Good healthy food, a big gym, and an exercise bike. Basically all the preconditions. Oh, and I have at least 2 hours of free time every day.

To clarify: I want to get into the best shape of my life. My priorities, in order: 1) Good endurance 2) Develop excellent overall leg strength 3) Get a [censored] upper body

Suggestions? Everything is helpful, but I'd appreciate it if only soccer players/coaches made soccer specific comments/suggestions.

Quickfetus

PS: If anyone knows anything about soccer in the UM area, I'd be sincerely appreciative.