View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: 06\' USPC: DeMichelle 88 vs Jacob KQ hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

do you mean its in an instacall? nothing marginal about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no I meant it was M-A-R-G-I-N-A-L... at best.

I found a recap of the hand from the boston herald archives..
[ QUOTE ]

With blinds at 12,000 and 24,000, antes 4,000, there were only three players left to contend for the USPC crown. Jacob was sitting on the button with approximately 2 million chips. Looking down, he was pleased to see Kh-Qh, prompting him to raise to 75,000. Michael DeMichele, who was second in chips with just under 2 million, looked down to see his own solid hand, 8d-8c. Struggling over his decision, DeMichele finally raised to 300,000. After Jordan Morgan - the short stack at the table with less than a million chips - quickly folded from the big blind, Jacob had to make a pivotal decision.
Jacob believed that since Morgan was short-stacked, DeMichele wouldn’t call and risk being eliminated without a monster hand. With the prize money difference between second and third place close to $200,000, Jacob felt DeMichele would fold with a strong reraise.
“I’m all-in,” Jacob announced.

[/ QUOTE ]

So blinds at 12/24k and ~1.7mil behind.. 88 is FAR from an instacall. Not saying it was a bad call, but it just seemed like DeMichelle had an uncanny knack for picking up chips by putting pressure on his opponents so why would he want to put in a spot where he had to "call" for his tournament life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am talking about your example where Jacob turns his hand face up on the table and shows kQ. I am now instacalling with 88.