View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 AM

Default Re: What If There Is a God?

A very confusing post.

Most atheist attacks on religion are besed on the assumption that there is no evidence god exists and that it's highly unlikely a god like a Christian God is true. And the fact why atheists care about religion is that they think it's harmful in one way or the other.

Ok, I suppose there is a God. And I suppose that nobody can have a perfect understanding of Him. I suppose that He is infinite and our abilities are finite. Yes, this religious confusion could be expected.

So you're basic point behind all these hypothetical assumptions is that atheism is as dogmatic as theism? I can attack a belief against fairys because it can be seen as irrational or ridiculous because there's nothing to support the existence of fairies. If suddenly fairies would exist and we would notice that then there's no need to attack a belief against fairies because that belief is 'true' by any definition of 'truth'.

Atheists are "attacking" religion because they believe ultimately there's no reason to believe in a god. You may disagree. I think it's fairly justified to "attack" against supposedly incorrect belief with such a status in this world. And so yes, many atheists are trying to convert theists to atheism. Not because atheism is the absolute truth but because it's a reasonable, rational position.